Goat Cheese-Roasted Beet Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound red, yellow and/or candy-striped beets, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 9 cups arugula, watercress, baby spinach, and/or mesclun
- 1 (8-ounce) log fresh goat cheese
- Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup broken walnuts, toasted
Cut beets in half. Place beets in single layer in shallow baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat. Cover with foil; roast in 425°F 25 minutes. Uncover; roast about 15 minutes more or until fork-tender. Cool; peel; slice 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
Arrange greens on 4 individual salad plates. Top with beets and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle with half the Lemon Vinaigrette. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately. Pass remaining vinaigrette. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, mnced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In small screw-top jar combine olive oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover; shake well.