Gilfeather Rutabaga With Iioti Onion-Ginger Crème Fraîche
From Chef Charleen Badman, FnB Restaurant Scottsdale, Arizona
Ginger Crème Fraîche
- Thumb-size piece of fresh ginger (approximately 1 inch square), peeled and minced
- 3 or 4 iitoi onions or green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced into rings
- 1 cup purchased crème fraîche or sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium Gilfeather rutabagas or 3 small regular rutabagas (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 Diced chives, for garnish
Add ginger and iitoi onion to crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper; chill until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash rutabagas; if using regular rutabagas, cut in half crosswise. Place in roasting pan with sides as tall as rutabagas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, and splash water in bottom of pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil; place in oven. Cook 2 to 2-1/4 hours, adding additional water, 1/4 cup at a time, to pan as needed. To determine doneness, probe a piece with tip of knife; rutabaga pieces should be tender and nicely browned here and there.
Once cool enough to handle, transfer rutabagas to work surface. Smash each with palm of hand; try to keep each rutabaga in one piece. In medium sauté pan, heat remaining oil and sauté rutabagas until crispy on both sides, flipping once like a pancake. If rutabaga is on the thicker side, put it in oven one more time to make sure it’s heated through. To serve, place rutabagas on platter, and top with Iitoi Onion-Ginger Crème Fraîche. Sprinkle with diced chives. Makes 6 servings.