Marble House, one of several National Historic Landmarks under the care of the Preservation Society of Newport County, was built between 1888 and 1892 for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt, of the steamship and railroad fortune. Designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt, the house was modeled after the Petit Trianon in Versailles. Mr. Vanderbilt gave the house to his wife for her 35th birthday. As its name suggests, the home is built with roughly 500,000 cubic feet of marble and is truly a masterpiece to behold.
More from this historic home on the following slides.