Farmer's Market Greens with Carrots and Radishes
Carrot curls add a charmingly old-fashioned touch to this fresh market salad. Search out locally made goat cheeses at the farmer’s market or cheese shop.
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 6 cups assorted baby greens
• 2 medium carrots, cut into curls*
• 1 cup sliced radishes
• Leafy tops from 1 bulb fennel (about 1/2 cup)
• 4 ounces goat cheese (chèvre), cut into small pieces
For dressing, in blender or food processor combine olive oil, vinegar, shallot, parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
For salad, on large serving platter combine greens, carrot curls, radishes, fennel fronds, and cheese; toss. Add half the salad dressing; toss to combine. Pass remaining dressing. Makes 6 servings.
*For carrot curls, peel carrots. Using a vegetable peeler cut lengthwise strips from carrots. Roll up strips and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place curls in a bowl of ice water for 1 to 2 hours. Remove toothpicks and drain on paper towels before serving.