Fresh Ginger-Lime Margarita
• 2 limes, juiced (1/4 cup)
• Margarita salt such as Sel Magique's margarita salt*
• 1 thin slice fresh ginger
• 1-1/2 ounces tequila (3 tablespoons)
• 1-1/2 ounces orange liqueur (3 tablespoons)
• 3-1/2 ounces water (7 tablespoons)
• 1 tablespoon agave nectar
• 1/2 teaspoon sliced fresh jalapeño pepper (optional)
• Ice cubes
• Kumquat slices and/or fresh mint leaves (optional)
Rub rim of glasses with lime before juicing lime. Dip rim of glasses in salt to coat; set aside.
In cocktail shaker or glass jar with lid, combine ginger slice, tequila, and orange liqueur. To muddle, gently crush ginger slice with muddler or back of spoon. Add lime juice, water, agave nectar, jalapeño, if using, and ice. Cover and shake until very cold. Strain liquid into prepared glasses (over ice, if desired). Garnish with kumquat slices and/or mint leaves. Makes 2 cocktails.
*Sel Magique margarita salt is a salty-sweet blend of cracked sea salt and spices. Find it at Birchbox.