Bibb, Pear, and Endive Salad
Light, lemony Hazelnut Vinaigrette dresses this salad.
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces arugula, washed and dried (9 1/2 cups)
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, torn (5 cups)
- 3 heads Belgian endive, separated
- 3 medium pears, thinly sliced
- 1/4 of small bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley (about 2-1/2 to 3 cups, long stems removed and loosely packed)
Preheat oven to 350°F. On 15x10x1-inch baking sheet bake hazelnuts 10 minutes or until golden brown. Place nuts on clean dry kitchen towel. Rub nuts until skin is removed. Coarsely chop nuts; set aside.
For dressing, in small bowl combine lemon juice, hazelnut oil, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined; set aside.
In large salad bowl combine arugula, Bibb, and half the dressing; toss to combine. In another bowl combine endive leaves and half the remaining dressing. In third bowl combine pears and remaining dressing. Alternately arrange endive leaves and pear slices around edge of salad. Scatter parsley over top. In dressing bowl, toss nuts with residual dressing; add to salad. Makes 8 servings.
Hazelnuts can be toasted, peeled and coarsely chopped up to 5 days in advance and stored at room temperature. Salad dressing can be made up to 5 days in advanced and stored, covered, in refrigerator. Whisk again before using.