Yellow Pepper Soup with Yogurt and Cucumber
- 2 cups plain or low-fat yogurt (do not use nonfat)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 8 medium yellow sweet peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 10 cups)
- 4 medium shallots, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
- Freshly ground black pepper
In small bowl stir together yogurt and fennel seed. Cover; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan cook sweet peppers, shallots, and cardamom in hot oil 15 to 18 minutes or until peppers just begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add broth, water, and vinegar. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In blender, blend mixture in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with yogurt and cucumber. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve warm or chilled. Makes 8 servings.