Strawberry Parfait with Fresh Normandy Cream
This luscious parfait features a homemade sorbet, berries in syrup and velvety, rich crème fraîche. The sorbet can be made the day before serving..
- 14 ounces very fresh, sweet strawberries, stems removed
- 2-1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water
- 4 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 2 grinds medium-coarse black pepper
Berries in Syrup:
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup best-quality raspberry vinegar
- 10 ounces very fresh, sweet strawberries, stems removed, cut top to bottom into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup purchased crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
In bowl of food processor, combine strawberries, lemon juice, orange flower water, vanilla sugar, and black pepper. Mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined and somewhat foamy. Transfer to non-reactive bowl, cover, and refrigerate at least one hour and up to overnight. When mixture is chilled, transfer to 1 1/2- to 2-quart ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions. Hold in ice cream maker until ready to serve.
In medium bowl, mix brown sugar and vinegar. Carefully fold sliced strawberries into syrup. Set aside for at least 1 and up to 4 hours, covered, stirring regularly and very carefully so berries marinate evenly.
In another medium bowl, whisk crème fraîche with sugar until it holds soft peaks. Cover; chill until ready to serve.
To serve, spoon equal amounts marinated strawberries into champagne flutes, reserving syrup. Top with spoonful of crème fraîche. Top with equal amounts of sorbet, then top with remaining crème fraîche. Drizzle 2 teaspoons vinegar syrup from berries over top of each parfait; garnish with mint leaves. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.