Garden Greens with Hazelnut Vinaigrette
Serve this salad after the main course with a selection of favorite cheeses. Susan recommends Jean LeBlanc hazelnut oil, a French oil cold pressed with a stone mill (8 ounces, $26, from amazon.com or a specialty grocer). Look for edible flowers at your local farmers market or with the fresh herbs at your grocery store.
- 8 cups mixed greens and herbs such as arugula, radicchio, sorrel, and Swiss chard
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon best-quality red wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil
- Edible flower blossoms for garnish
Rinse greens; dry. Place shallot in large bowl. Add vinegar; whisk in salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in oil until mixture is emulsified. Add greens and herbs; toss until combined. Taste for seasoning. Top with blossoms. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.