Mackerel Fillets with Fresh Peas, Radishes, and New Garlic
Peas, radishes, and spring garlic straight from the farmer's market give this dish its fresh appeal.
- 8 baby carrots with tops, peeled and trimmed (optional)
- 2 pounds fresh peas, shelled (2 cups) or 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons mild-flavored oil like grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 8 (4- to 6-ounce) mackerel fillets, mahi mahi, swordfish, or tuna steaks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (about 24)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches fresh radishes, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves new garlic, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- Fresh cilantro leaves and flowers (optional)
Bring large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water. If using, add carrots to boiling water; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from water with slotted spoon; plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Add peas to boiling water; cook 5 minutes or just until bright green and tender. Drain peas; plunge into ice water to cool and stop cooking. Gently drain peas and carrots again and set aside on clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside.
In small bowl whisk together lime juice and soy sauce. Add lime peel and coriander; whisk to combine. Whisk in both oils until mixture is emulsified. Whisk 1 to 2 tablespoons cilantro into vinaigrette. Season to taste with white pepper; set aside.
Rinse mackerel fillets, pat dry with paper towels, and cut on bias into three pieces. Place mackerel on prepared baking pan; brush with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. Using 1/4 cup cilantro, place a cilantro leaf atop each piece of mackerel. Bake in center of oven 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish or just until mackerel is opaque and flakes when tested with fork.
While mackerel is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in very large skillet. Add radishes and garlic to skillet and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add peas and carrots. Gently cook and stir vegetables 2 minutes until they are heated through. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
To serve, arrange three pieces of fish on each plate. Arrange vegetables on plate. Drizzle vegetables and fish with cilantro vinaigrette. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaf and flowers. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.