Orange-Olive Quick Bread
• 1-1/4 cups chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
• 3-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2-1/4 cups milk
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
• 2 teaspoons coarsely shredded orange peel
• 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon Maldon salt or sea salt
• 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
• 3/4 cup pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
• Garlic Butter*
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans; set aside.
In large skillet cook onion in the 2 tablespoons hot oil 5 minutes or until tender; set aside. Cool completely. In large bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Make well in center; set aside.
In medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, Parmesan cheese, mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, oregano, orange peel, black pepper, garlic powder, and Maldon salt. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in olives and reserved onions. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove breads from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. Serve with Garlic Butter, if desired. Makes 24 servings (2 loaves).
In small bowl combine 1/2 cup softened butter and 2 cloves garlic, minced. Serve butter chilled or softened to room temperature.