- 24 fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Asian chile sauce (such as Sriracha) or hot Thai chile sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado Cocktail Sauce (recipe follows)
- Lime wedges
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in resealable plastic bag set in shallow dish.
For marinade, in small bowl combine lime juice, Asian chile sauce and garlic. Pour marinade over shrimp; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 1 hour, turning bag occasionally (shrimp will get spicier the longer it marinates). Remove shrimp; discard marinade.
Thread shrimp onto 4 or 5 metal skewers. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper.
For charcoal grill, grill shrimp skewers on grill rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals 7 to 9 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
To serve, pour Avocado Cocktail Sauce evenly among 8 chilled margarita, martini or wine glasses. Remove shrimp from skewers. Place 3 shrimp in each glass. Garnish each glass with lime wedge and a dollop of sour cream, if you like. Makes 8 servings.
Avocado Cocktail Sauce:
- 4 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In medium bowl combine avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, horseradish, Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken, salt, and pepper. Cover; chill 2 to 6 hours.