For a simple presentation, make a double recipe of sauce and spoon it into tall, but small, cups. Then, when each skewer is dunked in all of the smoky grilled chicken gets coated with this creamy, cool sauce.
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Onion-Yogurt Sauce (recipe follows)
Cut chicken lengthwise into 16 strips. Place chicken in resealable plastic bag set in shallow dish.
For marinade, in small bowl combine oil, vinegar, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, salt, oregano, thyme, and pepper. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in refrigerator 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken, accordion-style, onto sixteen 6-inch skewers.*
Grill chicken skewers on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), turning once. (Or place skewers on unheated rack of broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.)
To serve, arrange skewers on platter and serve warm with Onion-Yogurt Sauce. Makes 16 servings.
In small bowl combine 1 (6-ounce) carton yogurt, 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion, 2 teaspoons grated onion, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
*Tip: If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.