The best of all possible worlds in a PB&J: Apples, bacon, and melty peanut butter on griddled bread.
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 large yellow or green crisp apple, cored, very thinly sliced
- 8 slices applewood-smoked bacon or other bacon, crisp-cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, softened
In small bowl stir together preserves and cayenne pepper. Place 4 slices of bread on work surface; spread slices with preserves. Top with apples and bacon. Spread one side of remaining bread slices with peanut butter; place, spread side down, over apples and bacon. Spread sandwich tops with some of the butter.
Preheat griddle or very large skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, on griddle. Carefully spread unbuttered bread with butter. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until bread is golden and sandwiches are heated through. Makes 4 servings.